Labour, Delivery & Post Natal Care


Ken delivers primarily at Kareena Private Hospital and The Sutherland Hospital. If you suspect you are in labour you should contact the Delivery Suite at the hospital at which you are booked.

Kareena Private Delivery Suite
Ph: 9717 0118

The Sutherland Hospital Birthing Suite
Ph: 9540 7981

You will be asked questions about:

  • the frequency and duration of uterine contractions
  • the presence of fetal movements
  • any vaginal discharge, whether it be mucous, amniotic fluid or blood
  • gestational age
  • any pregnancy complications
  • the results of your streptococcal swab


The midwives will then advise you to either come into hospital or stay at home.  It is important that you bring your antenatal card with you to Delivery Suite as this has your up-to-date records of blood tests, ultrasounds and past medical and obstetric history. The midwives will then contact Ken as necessary.

During the course of your labour regular observations of you and your baby are made including your blood pressure and temperature, and baby’s heart rate. Pain relief is often needed during labour and this will be discussed with the midwife looking after you and in consultation with me. I will be kept informed as to the progress of your labour by the midwife and will attend your delivery, as well as at times through your labour as necessary.

After delivery of your baby it is important to establish his/her initial well-being and then facilitate bonding with your newborn by close contact such as “skin-to-skin”.

Several hours later you will be transferred to the postnatal ward with your baby. During the next days will be an opportunity to learn parenting skills including feeding. The staff will assist you and your partner with this. A paediatrician will do a check on your baby during your hospital stay.

Discharge from hospital varies. At Kareena hospital it is on day 5 for a vaginal birth and day 6 for a Caesarean birth, or day 2 and day 3 respectively for The Sutherland Hospital.


I have been on call for after hours deliveries, and for gynaecological emergencies, for over 30 years now, and will continue to offer this service to my patients.

I do take the occasional weekend off and will arrange for another local obstetrician to look after my patients during that time. Each year I have provided delivery services for 95% of my patients, with the remaining 5% by these colleagues. I would appreciate your understanding of the need for me to maintain my emotional, social and physical well being by having some weekends off.


After discharge from hospital some parents will need extra care and advice.

They can ring either the postnatal ward (Kareena Private hospital Ph: 9717 0140,
The Sutherland Hospital Ph: 9540 7913),
your GP or myself.


Post Natal Depression

A few women become depressed after having a baby, some severely so. If you or partner are concerned you should contact Ken, see your GP or seek help from a mental health crisis team. The following websites may be helpful:

Beyond Blue

Beat Baby Blues

Aim for Hope Counselling


It’s common for first time mothers to need support with breastfeeding. After discharge if you are having problems, your initial call should be to the post-natal ward of the hospital where you delivered. Ask for the ‘lactation consultant’. You may get advice over the phone, be asked to come to the hospital or receive a home visit. The following websites may also be helpful:

Australian Breastfeeding Association

Pelvic floor problems

A number of women may suffer a deterioration in their pelvic floor function after pregnancy and will benefit from seeing a specialist physiotherapist. The following physiotherapists are recommended:

Secret Women's Business Physiotherapy & Education

Arna Opperman Physio & Pilates